HARMER ARCHITECTURE STUDIO
This office development includes the studio of Harmer Architecture.
This is our third office that we have designed and built ourselves. The creation of a workplace feels like home, a place that you look forward to working in every day, a place that celebrates the joy of being an architect is what we aimed for and continue to enjoy
The theme of the interior is industrial, which suits the history of Collingwood in manufacturing and also expresses aspects of architecture involving experimentation and fun, such as using materials in novel ways.
The atmosphere. Calm and expansive. The acoustic absorption and generous volume makes the workplace inspiring and relaxing.
The studio was awarded three AIA design awards when completed in 2003 and the best corporate interior in Australia in the 2004 Interior Design Awards Australia and became a testament that tells our clients and the world what we can do, how we work, and that we practice what we preach – “high calibre design has the power to enhance and enrich people’s lives.”
The Harmer Architecture studio is an exemplar in the design of environmentally sustainable buildings. Our aim in creating the Harmer studio was to create the best possible work environment that is healthy, safe and responsive to changes in climate. The building includes the following features.
• Natural cross ventilation
• Gas fired hydronic floor heating
• Passive design features such as insulated floor
• Plentiful natural light. Light fittings are used for less than 10% of office hours.
• Low VOC internal surfaces and finishes
• External sunshading using external blind and metal screens.
• Low life cycle costs with a minimum of painted surfaces
• Acoustic surfaces
- 2003 Australian Institute of Architects Architecture Award – Major Sponsors Prize – Colorbond
- 2003 Australian Institute of Architects Architecture Award – Interior Category
- 2003 Australian Institute of Architects Architecture Award – Commercial New Category
- 2004 Interior Design Awards Australia – Best Corporate Interior
- ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW. Issue 85, Budd Street by Vanessa Carnevale
- ARTICHOKE. Issue 07/Vol 02. IDAA Awards Best Corporate Interior – Budd Street Office